2016 HALF, FULL, & RELAY MARATHON TRAINING
DEVELOP, PEAK AND TAPER FOR YOUR BEST PERFORMANCE
16 Weeks / 3-Phase Training
THE POWER OF RUNNING FOR GOOD
Register for a Fleet Feet Sports winter training program by October 15th and $10 of your registration fee will be donated to UPMC Children's Hospital Free Care Fund
General Information Session: Saturday, November 21st, 11am
Program Kickoff: Saturday, January 9th for registered participants.
Training Begins: Monday, January 11th
First Group Workout: Sunday, January 17th at 7:30 am
Early Bird discounted rate (through December 15th): $110
Alumni* discounted rate (through December 31st): $100
*Alumni must have participated in previous half or full marathon training with Fleet Feet Sports Pittsburgh
Fleet Feet Sports is excited and proud to bring back our FULL & HALF MARATHON TRAINING plans in 2016. Maximally develop endurance, speed and strength for a smooth taper to race day, and new for 2016, TRAIN TO RELAY.
If you’re serious about training for and completing a marathon or half marathon or just staying in running shape over the winter, join the region’s premier training program that has helped hundreds of runners reach their goals. Our trained coaches offer the support and motivation needed to keep you going. With multiple marathon and half-marathon pace groups, there is a speed suited for every full & half participant and a relay option for shorter-distance participants!
HALF & FULL MARATHON
Phase I (4 weeks)
The plan gradually builds easy mileage during Phase I to prepare for the speed elements and increasing weekly mileage introduced during Phase II. To ensure a solid base, the length of this phase can be increased by gradually building mileage in the weeks leading up to the program. Limit weekly increases to one hour of additional weekly running over the previous week during this phase.
Phase II (8 weeks)
This more demanding phase incorporates higher intensity “toolbox” workouts to develop overall speed and endurance. Racing will be most productive within this phase for intermediate and experienced runners. Both plans recommend participation in the Spring Thaw* (Feb 27) and Just a Short Run* (March 26) in North Park.
*These events are separate from this training plan and require their own registration. Fleet Feet Sports training group participants receive an exclusive discount for each event.
Phase III (4 weeks)
Reduced training intensity focusing on race preparation. High mileage will become easier through transition to the final taper.
STILL WANT TO TRAIN, BUT NOT RUN A MARATHON?
Formerly WINTER WARRIORS, Marathon Relay participants get all the fun, snow and friendly camaraderie of marathon training, but less miles! This exciting new program completes shorter training runs without a mileage build-up required for a half or full marathon. Laugh at Old Man Winter, stay fit all season long and get ready to rock the Pittsburgh Marathon Relay on May 1st!
- 13 supported group runs starting at 7:30 am (Sundays, No group runs on February 28th or March 27th). Group runs from Pittsburgh locations (in the case of heavy overnight snowfall, runs will be moved to 8:00 am and held in North Park, or cancelled if safety concerns outweigh the benefit of the run).
- 16-week training plan
- Train at your own pace. All groups include training mentors, Half & Full training groups include pace group leaders.
- Weekly coached speed work sessions, Wednesday evenings at Jefferson Middle School track, Mt. Lebanon
- Highly detailed maps and turn-by-turn directions
- Training routes that include sections of the Pittsburgh Marathon race course
- Certified RRCA coaching staff & email access
- Fluid stations including electrolytes along Sunday training routes for half and full training groups.
- Targeted clinics & seminars to support training
- Discounted shopping events at Fleet Feet Sports
- Sunday run recovery snack
- Halfway celebration & post-marathon party
- Custom Fleet Feet Sports insignia skull caps from Saucony!
- Commemorative tech shirt from Saucony!
- Race discounts for Frigid 5-Miler, Spring Thaw, & Just a Short Run
- Opportunities to test run awesome Saucony shoes, and fun group-run raffles sponsored by Saucony
- Weekly newsletter of tips and information exclusively for training group participants
- Full marathon advanced training plan option. This plan is for experienced runners and assumes a starting weekly-mileage base of 40 miles, minimum, and an ability to independently train at your own pace. If you feel you meet these guidelines, please email Karen Harr (firstname.lastname@example.org).
IS THIS PROGRAM RIGHT FOR YOU?
- You have completed a half-marathon
- You can train at a 12 min/mile pace*, or faster
- Your weekly base mileage is 25 miles, or more
- You have completed at least a 10K event
- You can train at a 14 min/mile pace*, or faster
- Your weekly base mileage is 15 miles, or more
*Your training pace for Sunday group runs will be 40-60 slower than your expected half or full marathon pace.
- You can complete a 4-mile run
Fleet Feet Sports is looking for awesome volunteers to help with our 2016 Marathon Training Program. Program volunteers receive the marathon training program of their choice with amenities for FREE! Click here for job descriptions.
If interested, please complete this brief survey, and Fleet Feet Sports will contact you shortly to set up an interview.
HERE’S WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING…
“This was my second year with Fleet Feet and there are so many things are great about this program. The routes cover most of the race course and it's nice that they change every week and are challenging yet doable. Can't say enough great things about the coaches, pace group leaders and mentors. The encouragement runners get not only from their own pace group leader, but from every other leader, mentor and runner out there is awesome. have trained for other races on my own and It's a nice feeling to know that you have a group of people with you on Sundays to tackle those long runs, especially on those frigid February mornings”. - Nadeana C
“We had fun while getting in the miles. You can't beat the support and encouragement when the route is tough! I rejoined this year because I wanted to do the Tudi run again. Such a great accomplishment that I would never do on my own”. - Kara V
“I LOVE this program. I've joined for three years in a row now, and I can't imagine winter without it”. – Ashley W
“Really, the Sunday runs are the thing. Getting together with the group is just the best. The support is fantastic and very motivating”. - Randy I
“I loved the courses of the long runs - it was really nice to run so much of the marathon course before the actual event, and each week was different. Everyone was so friendly and positive! It was a great atmosphere to train for my first marathon”. - M. Coyne
“The camaraderie of the groups and the Routes for the runs! Honestly, I love the whole program and wouldn't train any other way. I have learned so much from this program”. – Mimi S
“The support of the team was amazing. Everyone is so supportive and it creates such an uplifting atmosphere where everyone realizes that they can accomplish their goals”. – Stephanie F