2015 HALF & FULL MARATHON TRAINING
Fleet Feet Sports is excited and proud to introduce our all-new FULL & HALF MARATHON TRAINING plans for 2015 to develop, peak and taper runners for their best performance.
If you’re serious about training for and completing a marathon or half marathon, join the region’s premier training program that has helped hundreds of runners reach their goal to finish a marathon or half marathon. Our trained coaches offer the support and motivation needed to keep you going. With ten marathon and ten half marathon pace groups, there is a speed suited for every participant!
Our 16-week programs are now broken into three phases to maximally develop endurance, speed and strength with a smooth taper to race day.
Phase I (4 weeks)
The plan gradually builds easy mileage during Phase I to prepare for the speed elements and increasing weekly mileage introduced during Phase II.To ensure a solid base, the length of this phase can be increased by gradually building mileage in the weeks leading up to the program. Limit weekly increases to one hour of additional weekly running over the previous week during this phase.
Phase II (8 weeks)
This more demanding phase incorporates higher intensity “toolbox” workouts to develop overall speed and endurance. Racing will be most productive within this phase for intermediate and experienced runners. Both plans recommend participation in the Spring Thaw* (Feb 28) and Just a Short Run* (March 28) in North Park.
*These events are separate from this training plan and require their own registration. Fleet Feet training group participants receive an exclusive discount for each event.
Phase III (4 weeks)
Reduced training intensity focusing on race preparation. High mileage will become easier through transition to the final taper.
REGISTRATION & PRICING
Alumni* Discount Price: $95 (discount expires after 12/31/14)
*Alumni must have participated in previous half or full marathon training with Fleet Feet Sports Pittsburgh
REGISTRATION NOW OPEN!!
Saturday, January 10th @ Fleet Feet Sports, 9:00 am: PROGRAM KICK-OFF MEETING for registered participants. Meet your pace group & pick up your training plan and program packet.
Sunday, January 18th @ TBD location, 7:30 am:Sunday group training runs begin (no group runs on March 1st, March 29th, oron Easter Sunday, April 5th. There will be a group run on Saturday, April 4th)
|Weekly Mileage:||26 – 41 miles||17 – 25 miles|
|Long Runs:||Start at 8, peak at 20||Start at 6, peak at 11|
|Weekly Schedule:||5 days running, 2 days rest, or strength or movement training||4 days running, 3 days rest, or strength or movement training|
- 13 supported group runs starting at 7:30 am (Sundays, except for Saturday, April 4th of Easter weekend. No group runs on March 1st, March 29th, or April 5th). Group runs from Pittsburgh locations (in the case of heavy overnight snowfall, runs will be moved to 8:00 am and held in North Park or cancelled if safety concerns outweigh the benefit of the run).
- 16-week training plan
- Train at your own pace with Pace Group Leaders and Mentors
- Optional coached speedwork sessions, Wednesday evenings at Jefferson Middle School track, Mt. Lebanon
- NEW THIS YEAR: Exclusive discount on cross-training packages designed specifically for this training group by our partners at Iron City Elite Strength and Conditioning- Where Athletes Train in Pittsburgh (located in Castle Shannon). Enhance performance through a program specifically designed to address the mobility, strength and movement needs of runners.
- Highly detailed maps including sections of the Pittsburgh Half and Full Marathon race courses
- Certified coaching staff & email access
- Fluid stations including electrolytes along Sunday training routes
- Exciting seminars including a post-run clinic with Massage Envy and cross-training session with PIttsburgh's own exercise guru and expert on active aging, Dr. Vonda Wright.
- Discounted shopping events at Fleet Feet Sports
- Sunday run recovery snack
- Halfway & post-winter training parties
- FREE Long-sleeved tech shirt
- FREE embroidered Fleet Feet training hat
- Race discounts for Just a Short Run & Spring Thaw
- Nutritional Counseling for Runners, small group sessions with staff dietitian Kathryn Szklany RD, LDN. Free to training participants, registration required.
- Optional full-zip, gender-specific training jacket from Craft which retails for $90. Exclusive winter training participant price is just $65 and includes custom Fleet Feet embroidery. Check out the jacket here!
IS THIS PROGRAM RIGHT FOR YOU?
- You have completed a half-marathon
- You can train at a 12 min/mile pace*, or faster
- Your weekly base mileage is 25 miles, or more
- You have completed at least a 10K event
- You can train at a 14 min/mile pace*, or faster
- Your weekly base mileage is 15 miles, or more
*Your training pace for Sunday group runs will be 40-60slower than your expected half or full marathon pace.
NOT READY TO TRAIN FOR A HALF OR A FULL?
Sign up for ALL NEW Winter Warriors for the same Sunday fun with shorter distance maps. Registration opens December 20th. For more information, click here.
Fleet Feet is looking for awesome volunteers to help with our 2015 Full and Half Marathon Training Program. Program volunteers receive the half or full training program of their choice and amenities for FREE! Click here for job descriptions.
If interested, please complete this brief survey, and Fleet Feet Sports will contact you shortly to set up an interview.
HERE’S WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING…
“I LOVE this program. I've joined for three years in a row now, and I can't imagine winter without it”. –Ashley W
“The support of the team was amazing. Everyone is so supportive and it creates such an uplifting atmosphere where everyone realizes that they can accomplish their goals”. – Stephanie F
“I liked the structured training plan and workouts, as well as the general camaraderie and support that the group provided. I've trained alone in the past, but it was nowhere near as enjoyable as my experience this time around”. -April K
“The continuous motivation from all the members was unbelievable. The support was just as strong throughout the week as it was on Sunday runs. I couldn't have stuck it out through the horrible winter if it wasn't for the awesome people in Fleet Feet”.- Stephanie L
“I was part of "Larry's Lunatics" and I couldn't have done it without this group. Participating weekly with a group of people who were holding me accountable was amazing. I also loved the family feeling of Fleet Feet. Thank you for helping me finish my first (of hopefully many) full marathons! This group helped me get the itch and drive to do more”.- Michelle S